Massaman curry is for many lovers of Thai cuisine, one of the best curries, it is also, in general, less spicy than others and therefore more suitable for Western taste buds.
Ingredients of massaman curry
- 50 g (or 1,76 oz) chicken
- 1 bowl coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Massaman curry paste
- 1 cup potatoes already cooked and cut into 3 cm pieces
Seasoning for massaman curry
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. tamarind paste
How to make massaman curry with wok
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut milk in the wok over low heat until the oil appears on the surface.
- Add the curry paste and stir for 1 minute or until they are fragrant.
- Add the chicken and cook until it turns white, then the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add vegetables, palm sugar, fish sauce and tamarind paste.
- Boil until the sauce thickens.
And it's over, all you have to do is serve it with white rice or whatever you want. Personally I like to eat it a lot in Muslim restaurants with roasts (small pancakes).
Massaman curry video recipe
Another way to do a Massaman curry
History and origin of this curry
We do not know precisely the origin of this delicious curry; there are several versions.
According to David Thompson (a specialist in Thai cuisine) and Thai journalist Santi Sawetwimon, this dish was created in the 17th century, at the court of Ayutthaya, by a Persian merchant, the Sheikh Ahmad Qomi
Other people think that the massaman is a dish from southern Thailand, influenced by Malay and Indian cuisine.
Source: Wikipedia: Wikipedia asiascenic.com; Photos: Beef Massaman: Ernesto Andrade; Chicken Massaman: Takeaway; Roti: Lexnger[/su_note]