Stories of drugs in the glass are more and more frequent; an Australian woman tells how she was drugged without her knowledge during the New Year 2015 on the island of Koh Phi Phi Phi in Thailand.
Anna Johnson was on vacation with her boyfriend when, on New Year’s Eve in 2015, her evening was ruined by an accident that prevented her from controlling her actions and even seeing correctly.
Ms. Johnson, 28, explained that she and her boyfriend were vigilant, but she believes the incident occurred when she bought a drink while her partner was talking to a couple they had met.
“I remember sitting and trying to find him, but I fell, and my eyes were turning in my head,” she told News Corp.
“My partner knew right away what had happened. I couldn’t see, and I couldn’t move my legs.”
A drug in the glass: fortunately she had her boyfriend!
She then threw up until she felt well enough to return to the hotel where they were staying, but said still felt “fuzzy” and that she had effects for a few more hours, despite the absence of alcohol.
Ms. Johnson now wishes to warn people of the dangers of the spread of drug-containing beverages.
“I am 28 years old, I am not 18 years old, and this is not the first time I have traveled abroad, and it has happened to me,” she said.
“Now I feel bad because the night before we were on the beach and we saw all these drunk girls, and we assumed they had been drinking too much or using drugs and we walked past them thinking it was rude.”
“Now I realize that they may have put drugs in their drinks as well and that there was no one to help them.
They seemed as drunk as I was.”
Thailand is one of the ten most popular destinations for Australian tourists for which the Department of Foreign Affairs has issued warnings on the increase in drug-containing beverages, according to Finder.com.au.
The list also includes Indonesia, the United Kingdom, and Vietnam.
See also on this subject:
Scams in Thailand