Here is an easy and authentic recipe for Thai green curry chicken, one of the cult dishes of Thai cuisine.
In Thai :
green curry = kaeng khiao wan (แกงเขียวหวาน)
Chicken with green curry : kaen khiao wan kai
You can make this recipe with curry paste, which you can find in Asian shops, or make it yourself: Green curry paste: the recipe
If you can't find small Thai aubergines you can use a normal aubergine cut into pieces.[the_ad id="20363″]
Chicken with green curry
Ingredients for the green curry chicken
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or coconut cream
- 1/4 cup green curry paste
- 500 g boneless chicken legs cut into pieces
- 400 ml Coconut milk
- 1 cup Thai aubergines (small round aubergines) cut in 4
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves entire
- 1/4 cup of Thai long chillies finely sliced
- 2 sheets combava (kaffir lime) torn in 4
- 1 tablespoon of palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
Preparation of the green curry chicken
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the oil until it sizzles or, if using cream of coconut, heat until the mixture boils.Add the green curry paste and cook thoroughly until the flavour comes through and the colour has intensified, about 1 minute.
- Stir the chicken into the curry mixture. Once well mixed, pour in the coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the aubergine. Simmer until chicken and aubergine are cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in Thai basil, long Thai chillies and combava leaves (kaffir lime). Add the palm sugar and fish sauce, and stir to incorporate.
- Serve hot on jasmine rice or rice noodles, or with "roti" pancakes.
Video: Green curry chicken recipe
Here is a very similar recipe on video:
Personally, I like to eat curry in Muslim restaurants where it is possible to eat it with the "roti" pancakes:
See also :
Massaman curry: the recipe for one of the best Thai curries
Khao Soy, a curry noodle soup, a Chiang Mai delicacy
Red curry chicken "Kaeng phed kai", the easy recipe
Source: 1st recipe is from Chef Hong Thaimee, author of the book "True Thai"; Photos: Thai curry with roti: wikipedia