Fried rice or khao pat (pronounced krao pat), is a very simple and delicious dish, and is certainly the most common dish in restaurants in Thailand.
In this recipe for Thai fried riceI use basic ingredients, but the fried rice is a catch-all recipe, you can put any vegetables and side dishes you want, it is often a recipe to use the leftover rice already cooked and finish the vegetables.
Thai Fried Rice: the recipe
Ingredients to prepare Thai Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil or canola or peanut oil
- 2 pod garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 onion diced (white or yellow)
- 150 g chicken breast sliced (or equivalent in crab, tofu, shrimp..)
- 3 shallots cut into 4 cm pieces
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 3 cup cooked jasmine rice cold (preferably refrigerated overnight)
Sauce options: use only one of these:
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 and 1/2 Thai seasoning Gold Mountain
Serve with: tomato wedges, cucumber slices and fresh coriander
Preparation of Thai Fried Rice (khao pat)
- Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan over medium-high heat (add an extra tablespoon of oil if using a frying pan)
- Add the garlic and sauté for 20 seconds.
- Add the onion and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and shallots and sauté for 1 minute or until chicken turns white (but still pink inside).
- Push the chicken to the side and pour the egg in the middle.
- Scramble it quickly - about 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and sauce.
- Sauté for about 2 minutes to heat the rice and coat the entire rice with the sauce.
- Serve immediately, garnished with fresh coriander and tomatoes and cucumbers on the side.
A recipe for Thai Fried Rice on video
Another variant of fried riceIn a wok, with shrimp and curry:
If you want to know how to order Thai Fried Rice and other dishes in Thai :
Recognise Thai dishes so that you can order them in restaurants