Khao Tom (in Thai: ข้าวตข้าวต้ม) is a rice soup that can be made with pork (Khao tom mou), chicken (kaï), fish (pla), shrimp (koung) or vegetarian with an egg or tofu.
It is a morning dish for breakfast, but it is often eaten after a watered evening because rice soup is good for the stomach and prevents you from having a hangover the next day.
That’s why you can easily find them very late at night near bars and karaoke and early in the morning in the markets in Thailand.
Ingredient of Khao Tom
- 1½ large spoon canola oil or other
- 1 large teaspoon minced garlic about 3 cloves
- ¼ cup Ground chicken or pork tofu, shrimp …
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup rice cooked jasmine steam or rice porridge
- 1 egg
- 1 large tablespoon ginger minced fresh
- 1 minced green onion
- 1 large tablespoon chopped coriander
- 1 pinch white pepper
How to make Khao Tom
- Heat canola oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium high heat and stir garlic.Stir constantly and when the garlic is yellow, remove a fried garlic half for garnish.
- Add chicken and cook with the remaining oil and garlic, then season with salt and soy sauce.
- Pour chicken broth and jasmine rice and cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- When the rice is almost cooked and almost ready to serve, break the egg and drop the center of the rice soup.
- You can poach or stir the egg into the hot rice soup, it can take 30 seconds or 1 minute depending on your preference for cooked egg.
- Pour the hot rice soup in a bowl and garnish with fried garlic, ginger, green onion, coriander and white pepper.
To make a rice soup
Yield: 4 cups Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredient 1 cup jasmine rice
Preparation Porter jasmine rice and 2 cups of water to a boil, and stir frequently while cooking for 5 minutes.
Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
Then cook until 4 cups.
This soup is often served with vegetables soaked in vinegar.
Enjoy your meal!
Photo by Khao Tom Pla: Takeaway