Khao Tom Mad (ข้าวต้มมัด) is a delicious traditional Thai desert made from glutinous rice, banana, coconut milk, all wrapped in a banana leaf.
It has the same format and is a bit like a Mars but much healthier!
There are Khao Tom Mad in most markets in Thailand.
Traditionally, these sweets are offered to monks at the beginning of the Buddhist Lent, which marks the start of the rainy season, and are also given as an offering at religious ceremonies.
This recipe requires a couscoussier or other vessel that allows steaming.
Glutinous rice rolls with banana and coconut milk: Khao Tom Mad
Here is the recipe for Khao Tom Mad, a delicious, hearty and healthy dessert.
Servings: 10 rollers
Ingredients for Khao Tom Mad
- 250 g sticky rice
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 100 g cane sugar
- 2 banana ripe
- 1 package banana leaves (available in Asian shops) or baking paper
- 30 small black beans (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Cooking wire or toothpicks (to attach)
Preparation of Khao Tom Mad
The day before
- The glutinous rice should be washed and rinsed well until the water runs clear and then left to soak overnight in a large container, making sure that there is at least 5 cm of water above the rice, as it will swell.If you use the small black beans, you must also leave them to soak overnight.
The next day
- Drain the rice and set aside
- Drain the black beans and boil them until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the skin from the bananas and cut them into 7-8 cm strips to obtain 10 pieces.
- In a saucepan, heat the coconut milk, sugar and salt over medium heat and stir well.
- Add the glutinous rice and mix well, leave to cook for about ten minutes and as soon as the rice has absorbed the coconut milk, turn off the heat and leave to cool.
- Heat the water in the couscous pot
- Wash the banana leaves and cut them into 25 cm squares
- On the opaque side of the banana leaf, place a good spoonful of glutinous rice (or two), 3 black beans and a piece of banana. Then bring the left side, right side and then top and bottom to wrap (as shown in the photo). Tie it all together with cooking wire or toothpicks.
- Place the rolls in the steamer basket and cook gently for 1 hour.
- Let them cool, you can eat them warm or cold.
Anything made with glutinous rice is recommended for people with weak stomachs, it is a good stomach bandage!
Recognise Thai dishes so that you can order them in restaurants
Glutinous rice with mango and coconut milk: Khao Niao Ma Mouang
8 desserts from Thailand eaten on New Year's Eve
Source: misstamkitchenette.com ; wikipedia.org ; Photos: Khao Tom Mat 1: Kguirnela; Khao Tom Mat 2: Takeaway