Som Tam (ส้มตำ) also called Papaya pok pok for the foreigner, is a very spicy salad prepared with a green papaya slice crushed with fish sauce, lemon juice and lots of chili pepper!
This salad is a real drug for some Thais; mixing peppers with green papaya, lemon juice, and the rest of the ingredients have a very tonic effect.
If you are a little sick, Som Tam will give you back your energy.
Som Tam, spicy green papaya salad recipe, a specialty from Issan, northeast Thailand
Ingredients Of Som Tam (Papaya Salad)
- 1 green papaya
- 6 to 12 small chili peppers, you can choose the spicy level
- 1 carrot
- 4 small tomatoes
- 3 large spoonful fish sauce
- 4 large spoonful juice of one lime
- 1 large spoon palm sugar
- 1 handful unsalted roasted peanuts
- 2 clove garlic crushed
How to Make Som Tam (Papaya Salad)
- Peel and halve the papaya lengthwise, remove the seeds with a spoon, rinse with clean water and then dry it thoroughly. (do not discard the seeds, see link under the recipe).
- Grate the papaya and carrot into a thin slice and set aside.
- Mortar the peppers and garlic in a large pestle until the consistency of a paste is obtained.
- Add the papaya and carrot.
- Mix the sugar, fish sauce and lime juice and add to the mixture.
- Crush one last time, mixing the ingredients well.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and stir in the salad.
- Stir in the pre-milled peanuts. Mix well.
The dish is ready, you can serve it with Chinese cabbage and other crisp vegetables (this calms the fire of the chilli pepper) and sticky rice.
Video of another Som Tam Thai recipe
Here is a video in English that shows the preparation of Som-Tam
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?