Stir-fried tofu with bean sprouts is a simple, fresh and slightly crispy dish that is usually eaten as a side dish with other dishes, but can also be used as a main course.
This is a dish that is often found ready-made, sold in a plastic bag in Thai markets.
You can prepare it with soy sauce mixed with oyster sauce, or vegetarian with only soy sauce or with vegetarian oyster sauce, which can easily be found in Asian grocery shops.
In Thailand there are other variations of this dish where the tofu is replaced by squid, shrimp or pork.
To find out how to prepare your own beansprouts and discover all the virtues of these sprouts see :
How to make bean sprouts at home, the easy way
Recipe for stir-fried tofu with bean sprouts
Ingredients for the Stir-fried Tofu with Beansprouts
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 firm tofu (450 mg), cut into large pieces about 1cm thick
- 1 cup Chinese chives, cut into 2-3 cm lengths about 15 stems of chives
- 6 cups of soya bean sprouts washed in cold water and drained
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 1 tablespoon of soy sauce plus 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
Preparation of the tofu sautéed with bean sprouts
- Heat the wok over high heat, then test it with a few drops of water. If the water evaporates in two seconds, add 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Spread the oil using a spatula, then add the tofu to the wok and fry over medium heat until they firm up and turn golden. This will take 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the same wok over high heat and add the remaining canola oil and garlic
- Stir until the garlic is golden, about 10 seconds.
- Stir in the bean sprouts and cook over high heat for 45 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Then stir in the chives to cook lightly, about 45 seconds.
- Stir in the tofu, soy sauce and sugar.
- Mix well and serve quickly with steamed rice.
Video recipe for stir-fried tofu with bean sprouts
Another variation of the recipe, but with salted fish.
Other dishes with bean sprouts:
Mussel pancake (hoy tot), the recipe
Fried tofu with lemongrass: the recipe